Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Clueless boaters Witnessed an amazing act of seamanship yesterday on the way in to Victoria. I took a shortcut through a narrow pass called Enterprise channel between the tip of Vancouver Island and Trial Island. It is bordered on both sides by shallow reefs marked by kelp and one red buoy. As I slowed to go through I noticed a 50 foot Sunseeker style boat coming behind me at high speed cut inside the buoy on the Vancouver side and head straight into the kelp beds where the water gets as shallow as two feet in spots. He made it half way through before he slowed down, stopped, turned towards me and continued at idle speed to deeper water. He then followed me for a bit then veered off to the other side and idled across the next reef with depths of 10 feet or less. He made it to deep water but it was obvious something was wrong so I went around to see if I could help. Steam was pouring out of his exhaust now and when I asked him if their was a problem he said his engine alarms were blaring and could not turn them off, said he was overheating. I suggested he ingested kelp into his strainers and he said he would check that. That was apparently the extent of the damage, very lucky for him as he idled along for awhile then pushed it back up to full speed and was gone in a flash with his boatload of children and friends or family on board. Clueless and lucky this time with a brand new boat.

No comments: