Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 5


It's like were dragging our anchor behind us. Not going far each day, delaying and waiting for Glen and Liz to catch up. I think they left today but my email is still acting very strange so I cannot read her return email to me. I can connect, i can blog, I can get into Chris's email and I can get into my email, I just cannot open or send any of my emails because when I try it says I am not connected to the internet. I am totally confused. Anyone got any brilliant ideas about why my email won't work on the vorizon air card. When I was hooked up to the local wireless network my email worked fine. If your sending us emails send it to Chris's as well as mine. Chris's email is mrsmajor@hotmail.com.


I think there is a computer bug. My navigation software went buggy as we crossed the straits of Georgia today. Lost GPS connection and my AIS. At this rate we could end up in Siberia.


I got the GPS working again but still cannot figure out the AIS. That is the system that identifies shipping via a radio receiver and plots the location onto the computer map so not only do you know there is a commercial ship there but where they are going, how fast and when they will most likely run over you. Without that I will have to rely on just radar and eyeballs. I guess they have worked for years so we should be ok. But it is frustrating, the AIS worked fine for two days and now won't work. But lesson learned, do not try to trouble shoot while underway. Its hard to watch for logs, ships and stay on course while ones head is buried in a computer screen.


Were at Pender Harbor tonight and we will stay here tomorrow waiting for Glen and Liz. Its a big harbor with lots of places to explore by dinghy or kayak. Hopefully the weather will finally warm up. It was grey and cloudy all day but the wind held off and the storm front the Canadian weather service was predicting never materialized. I am guessing they come from the same school as american weather men.


We will head north towards Squirrel Cove on Cortez Island on Monday and hopefully meet Glen and Liz there. Without phone service its a bit hard to connect once they leave until were within radio range.

No comments: