Friday, August 19, 2011

Prudeaux Haven

Left Nanaimo about 1000 am on Wednesday, picked up about 180 gallons of fuel and headed across the straits of Georgia. The wind was blowing about 15 when we left but was not supposed to get any harder and true to form it did not. We were able to cross strait over Whisky Gulf directly to Jedidiah Island and half way across the water smoothed out and was just a light chop. We explored Jedidiah and there are several very nice one boat coves, all were taken and Deep Cove on the North end was fairly full so we opted for Boho Bay on Lasquetti Island. It is a very nice and protected anchorage with the exception of a SE could blow into the bay. But the wind remained out of the NW and we had a quiet and pleasant evening. We ended up shareing the bay with 3 other power boats and 3 sailboats.

Today we pulled anchor and motored north for about 30 miles, again against a light NW wind and initially about 2 foot waves but by the time we reached the north end of Texada the water was slightly rippled.

We stopped at Lund for a fishing license. One of the boats in Boho bay mentioned they caught 300 shrimp in one set in Desolation Sound so I figured I would give it a try. The store was all out of paper hard copy licenses so they suggested I try the computer station at the hotel next door. I did but apparently I already have a electronic file and it would not recognize my email address so I could not get into it to renew my license. I called and they had to reset my email as it was typed in wrong. So after they reset it I filled in the form and paid my dollars but then could not print it at the hotel. After a bit of troubleshooting we finally figured out how to send a copy to the hotel secretary who then printed it for me.

We also picked up another five gallon can for dinghy fuel as we go through the small tanks pretty quickly. From Lund we tried to get into our favorite little cove on the norhtern most of the copeland Islands but a small fishin boat was already there and there is only room for one boat in there. So we continued on to Prudeaux Haven and found a spot in Laura cove. I think were just going to sit here for two or three days and explore by dinghy and kyak. I jumped in to cool off as it was quite warm when we arrived and it took me three trys to get the danged anchor to hold and then getting the stern line out and back was not one of the smooter operations. I am sure the other boaters were having a good time watching me tangle the lines and fuss around with getting it around a log on the shoreline and back to the boat. We made it but I worked up a sweat so the swim was well deserved.

1 comment:

Kim Nance said...

You have a great Blog Tom. Look forward to seeing you two soon.